The coating falls from a slot directly onto the web. The fluid properties of the coating control the allowable flow rate and landing conditions that make a pinhole free perfectly uniform coated layer. This is a contour coater and will apply a uniform layer to a rough surface. Acceptance of this process has been limited by the difficultly of formulating for the desired conditions, high minimum flow rate requirements, capital, and development cost.
Capella has developed a series of new technologies that solve all these problems, making curtain coating easy to implement.
- The Foam buster deaerator eliminates all air bubbles, allowing the waste edge coating to be recirculated directly.
- Air free fluids are required for low flow rates.
- The Stretch Tester allows the coated properties required to be measured, allowing rapid screening of formulations and components.
- Capella’s component research can recommend additives in many situations.
- These capabilities have allowed minimum flow rates of 0.6 gm/cm/sec or lower. 7#/3000, 50% solids at 500 ft/min. with all latex coatings.
- The new MFP Die will run any coating with a good profile +,- 2.5%
- The MFP die is a purge cleaning design that allows product changes in less than 1 minute with 2 gallons of liquid waste.
- Simple edge deckles with no coating waste.